Thursday 19 April 2018

I like Thankful Thursdays.

Some weeks, like last week, it seems Thursday happens before I know it. And as I haven't been doing much going out and about, I am running out of things to take pictures of!

But, this week, we've got it. Besides, it is warmer, suddenly, which makes it easier to go out...at least in the garden.

I like these violas I planted in October - around Halloween - in a spot where not much else grows. They had flowers when I bought them, but then basically went a bit dormant over winter.
But now, they are beginning to send up their mauve and pumpkin faces. When the daffodils get to the point to cut them back, there they will be brightening a plain spot in the garden.

I like the Snake's head fritillary . They go well with the yellow tulips.
Like my son says, Isn't it amazing that God made a chequerboard pattern on a flower!
Different stages here, near the bottom a new one coming towards the back, one about to open and in front a close view of recently open flowers...you can tell because the chequerboard is clearly defined.
As they get older, the colours darken and blend a bit.
  
And each one has different shaping to the pattern!

And then there are the plain old fritillary - white ones!

And I also like that SAQA Europe and Middle East is well represented in the current issue of the SAQA Journal.
One of our Co-reps.
Three of us who are volunteers
and followed by an article about the work of my friend Uta Lenk, who only stepped down from being co-rep last year!

Check out the 'likes' of the others over at LeeAnna's blog.

9 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Sandy,
I have to agree with your son - it is amazing and cool that God made a flower with a checkerboard pattern! Oh so pretty, and they look fabulous with the yellow tulips. I've never heard of fritillary before - I wonder if they are here in the States? Or maybe they are but not in my area because we are too cold. Happy Thursday! ~smile~ Roseanne

PaintedThread said...

That checkerboard pattern is seriously cool!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I've never heard of or seen that "snake" flower before. How lovely. And really like the tulips, too. Sweet post. mary

LA Paylor said...

Sandy the SAQA stuff is so cool, but those purple flowers are a miracle. They look like a real life quilted art piece!!! amazing
LeeAnna

Shannon said...

That fritillary checkerboard is amazing! I've never seen anything like it! Wow! I haven't looked at the current SAQA journal yet, it's sitting on top of my to-read pile, staring at me reproachfully....

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm like your other commenters- those flowers with the checkerboard pattern are amazing! I've never seen them before either!

Michele said...

I adore violas and pansies- but the deer love them even more :(

FlashinScissors said...

I love violas too!
This year we had snakes head fritillaries in our garden for the first time. They were lovely, but I didn’t actually take any photos.
I was enjoying the tulips in our garden today ..... maybe I’ll write a post on them for next week.
Barbara xx

cocoya said...

I've never heard of or seen that "snake" flower before. How lovely. And really like the tulips, too. Sweet post. mary
Royal1688